BATON ROUGE – Health officials have reported 34 deaths of Louisiana residents due to COVID-19 and 1,172 confirmed cases of the virus.
Officials say a second cluster of virus cases were discovered in Chateau D’Ville, a rehabilitation and retirement home in Donaldsonville. Five cases were identified in that community Monday.
According to the most recent numbers, a total of 43 East Baton Rouge residents have been infected with the virus.
New patient statistics are released every day at noon. Check the embedded data in the middle of this story.
Monday, the EBR coroner revealed that a 90-year-old man from Mississippi died due to COVID-19 complications in Baton Rouge and that a 44-year-old local woman also passed away.
The man was from Woodville, Mississippi, and died on March 21. A health test returned a positive coronavirus result Monday, two days after his death.
The 44-year-old local woman died Sunday after being hospitalized with complaints of shortness of breath. Lab testing also showed she was positive for COVID-19.
As expected, there are coronavirus patients from most capital-area parishes. More patients are also being diagnosed with COVID-19 as testing increases across the state.
LSU confirmed Friday that a grad student living off-campus had tested positive for the virus.
The individual is a graduate student who takes all courses online, who does not live on campus, and who has not been on campus since March 7.
— LSU (@LSU) March 20, 2020
University President Tom Galligan released a statement in response to the news here: https://lsu.edu/coronavirus/messages/email/03-20-confirmed-case.php
Our Lady of the Lake, Baton Rouge General and Ochsner are treating patients.
The below map is provided by the state and is updated at noon daily; Cases released by hospitals or local governments during the day are not reported in the map until the next reporting deadline.
The tabs at the bottom of the map can be used to navigate limited information about the patients, including age groups.
To combat the spread, the state issued a stay-at-home order beginning Monday, March 23 at 5 p.m. Many places where gatherings would happen: Bars, dine-in restaurants, gyms, theaters and other businesses were ordered closed earlier in the month.
Officials are hoping to reach a peak where the virus spread will not top the available healthcare resources in Louisiana.
“Now more than ever, we must remain vigilant against the spread of this illness by taking care of ourselves and each other, avoiding going into public areas if you are sick, practicing social distancing and washing your hands frequently with soap and water,” Governor Edwards said after the first death.
As of Saturday, March 14, the CDC began allowing state agencies to confirm coronavirus cases within their own labs, without sending test samples to the CDC. The CDC says the decision was made because the state tests have proven to be reliable.
The Louisiana Department of Health reported the state’s first positive case of the virus at an Orleans Parish hospital March 9. The Department of Health said the initial case was not travel-related and was “community acquired.”
The CDC is also urging all large events and mass gatherings, for 8 weeks, to cancel or postpone in-person events that consist of 50 people or more throughout the United States to help prevent the spread.
The state has launched a hotline to answer the public’s questions about the virus. Anyone looking to use the service can dial 2-1-1 to be connected to the network. Written answers can be answered online at www.la211help.org.